Sunday, May 07, 2006

Junk Jackson, May 7, 2006.

1. Bernard Herrman - The Nightmare and Dawn, from the soundtrack of Alfred Hitchcock's 'Vertigo.'

Off to a good start...

2. The Rapture - Love is All, from Echoes.

I get approving nods from everyone who was a hipster during Fall 2003.

3. Bette Midler - Friends, from The Divine Miss M.

Just kidding. This isn't on my iPod, but if it were, I'd have to list it. I put it here to prove a point: Be honest with these lists...as honest as Bette Midler is with her wonderful craft. And just to reiterate, this isn't really on my iPod. My parents can rest easy that they might still get a grandchild out of me.

3 for real. Chrome - TV as Eyes, from Half Machine Lip Moves.

After a steel cage match between this song and the Bette Midler song, the Bette Midler song will piss blood for a week. Barry Manilow, who performed on her first album, will host a benefit for her.

4. Juana Molina - El Desconfiado, from Segundo.

From one of those pretty good albums you listen to three times and forget about.

5. Silver Jews - Inside the Golden Days of Missing You, from The Natural Bridge.

I adore this band and was secretly hoping one of their songs would get on this list so everyone could see it...kind of like those people who read Nietzsche on the subway not because they enjoy it, but because they want random people to see how smart they are. Watch those people and see how many times they actually turn the page.

6. Lansing-Dreiden - The Eternal Lie, from The Incomplete Triangle.

Watching this list emerge is like watching a young son grow up to get straight A's, become class president, become a company president, and then become President of the United States. I'm proud of you, son.

7. The Flamin' Groovies - 32-20, from Teenage Head.

Robert Crumb did an album cover for these guys. He wouldn't do one for The Rolling Stones, who I think once called this album "The Greatest Rolling Stones album not made by us." Something like that, anyway. So, life comes full circle.

8. Syd Barrett - Swan Lee, from Opel.

My little boy has just gone on to win his third Nobel Peace Prize. Balding Music nerds ripped from the pages of High Fidelity will teach me their secret handshake once I myself go bald.

9. Edan - Beauty, from Beauty and the Beat.

Steady rockin'! This list still makes me look pretty white, but this song at least makes me look like that special brand of cool white.

10. Deerhoof - Apple Bomb, from Apple O.

A respectable finish. This band is sort of like an arts n' crafts movement among the highwater pants crowd.

1 Comments:

Blogger d said...

"Also, rent a U-Haul and move to at least the year 2005."

dude, that's totally harsh. for a while, i didn't have a ipod. because it was expected that as a music loving youngster i should be carrying my entire music collection in a little white box. and for the longest while, i was like fuck that maaannnn!!!

and DUDE! how can you not allow anonymous comments? i had to get a blogger account just to comment.

poo

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home