1. Yo Yeah - Black Star, from 'Black Star'
Aw yeah. Hip-hop cred firmly established. Black people are beautiful. That's what Black Star taught me.
Don't worry, the whiteness will arrive soon. In spades.
2. Vine Street - Harry Nilsson, from 'Nilsson Sings Newman'
This is from the 'Nilsson Sings Newman' record, in which Nilsson does Newman the honor, ten tracks over. If Nilsson were still alive, I bet he'd be scoring as many Pixar films as Newman, if not more. Scratch that, Nilsson would score 'em all. Newman's a lucky bastard.
Just last night I was describing the cover of this record as being like a painting of the 'Leave the gun, take the canolis' scene from 'The Godfather,' only with Nilsson in the front seat, and Newman in the back.
Am I wrong?
3. Chocolate - Shudder to Think, from 'Funeral At The Movies'
This is Dischord-era Shudder To Think. Listening to this record is like hearing a band playing in a basement three doors down from your house. Yes, that good.
4. Master and Everyone - Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, from 'Master and Everyone'
5. Come Out and Play - The Offspring, from 'Smash'
Oh Jesus. That sound you just heard is me diving through a plate glass window to escape responsibility for this song being on my iPod. I could tell you how it happened, but it would sound so unbelievably lame and made up. Goddamnit. I have no one to blame but myself.
6. Speedbumps - Luna, from 'Rendezvous'
This is from Luna's last record, which I thought was a nice return to form before they called it quits. However, I would leave this song out when making that case.
7. Crazy Eights - Tapes n' Tapes, from 'The Loon'
Cue the editorial board at Pitchfork, as they scream over each other trying to name all the bands that this band borrows from.
8. I Won't Tell - Tracy Dey, from 'One Kiss Can Lead to Another: Girl Group Sounds Lost and Found'
This is from a box set that Rhino put out last year. It came packaged in a black and white striped hat box, and all the jewel cases were designed to look like compacts. This led to some awkwardness when I presented it as a gift to a male friend. If I'm not mistaken, he burned all the CD's and then re-gifted to a woman. That behavior speaks volumes. Gay volumes.
9. So Long, Marianne - Leonard Cohen, from 'Songs of Leonard Cohen'
I like to think this song is about the benevolent old gypsy whore that took Leonard Cohen's virginity when he was twelve.
10. If We¹re in Love - Roisin Murphy, from 'Ruby Blue'
I gonna make an appointment to have sex to this song very soon.