Sunday, July 23, 2006

Junk Jackson - July 23, 2006

1. The Marvels -- "Rock Steady," from 100% Dynamite

This was a "the" band before the resurgence of all the "the" bands of the early 2000's period. What do you call those periods that mark the first sections of centuries, anyway? This band attempts to answer that question in this song, though music scholars often confuse it as a cover of Aretha Franklin's "Rock Steady." Those incessant jackanapes.

2. DJ Krush -- "Taiyou Ga Arukagirl/Polegnala E Pschenitza," from Code 4109

I used to call radio stations and request this song by its full title, until I was put on the air and then got three years hard time for supposedly threatening the life of a Polynesian Queen. It was during morning drive time and there were, like, 753,276 witnesses. The worst part is that when I tried getting back in the rap game, I got no street cred for the incident.

3. DJ Food -- "The aging Young Rebel," from Kaleidoscope

Ranked right up there with DJ Windowsill and DJ Pencil. This is actually one of my all-time favorite albums.

4. Fog -- "Truth and Laughing Gas," from The Fog

This band had a huge influence on the sermons of Jonathan Edwards and was named after the damp New England fogs infiltrating Puritan hunting grounds. Unfortunately, they were burned as witches before Alan Lomax was able to sign them.

5. Tapes 'n Tapes -- "Cowbell," from The Loon

Early Puritan literature was fascinated with the concept of a Hell scorched by fire and brimstone. Sermons from this period also spread the image of Satan as a red, cloven-hoofed man who carried a pitchfork, a common farm tool of the time. In the same way that Satan morphed into a serpent so he could deceive Man, our post-agrarian society has altered the perception of the pitchfork as an instrument used for pitching hay into that of an instrument wielded by urban hipsters to cheerlead for bands with boyish singer-songwriters and impossibly ironic names.

6. Deerhoof -- "After Me the Deluge," from The Runner's Four

I think these guys might be the Rainman of bands. I also invite you to insert your own Pitchfork joke...I'm running out.

7. Jonathan Fire Eater -- "Beautician," from Tremble Under Boom Lights

Named such because they eat fire and brimstone for breakfast. This band lives up to the myth. I hear they sold their song rights to Paramount for an upcoming Cotton Mather biopic.

8. Air -- "Biological," from Talkie Walkie

Not surprisingly, this record's album cover launched huge comebacks for BMX biking, homosexuality, and falconry.

Take a look:



9. Blood on the Wall -- "Stoner Jam," from Awesomer

I have to quote Jimmy that a great title for a documentary about middle school would be "Blood on the Carpet, Carpet on the Wall." This song would be the keystone of the soundtrack. The album totally lives up to its title, making it the Muhammed Ali of records.

10. The Wrens -- "This Boy is Exhausted," from Meadowlands

Um, I can't go out tonight because I have to wash my hair. Seriously, I thought I took these guys off my iPod in order to make room for the greatest hits collection of The Redundant Vanilla Oatmeal Band.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home