Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Dr. Milton von Fünkdoctorspock, Week of May 28, 2006

1. Ray Charles, “I’m Movin’ On”- The collection is called The Birth of Soul, and for the birth of something so beautiful, you better believe that pussy was slippery wet! If you can show me a bad soul song, I can show you a shoe in your ass. And one more thing: that shoe has my foot in it.

2. Earlimart, “We’re So Happy (We Left the Piano in the Truck)”- This is one of those indie bands I don’t love, but I don’t hate, so they linger on the ‘Pod and go months without a listen. It is a clever song title. Good, not great.

3. Les Misérables, “Confrontation”- Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold it right there, I know what you’re thinking: Dr. Milt must specialize in proctology, if you know what I mean, and I do, and frankly, I’m disgusted. The Doc likes culture. Nothing more, nothing less. Step. Bitchass.

4. The Fiery Furnaces, “Teach Me Sweetheart”- The grammar err that currently irks me the most is not using a comma to set apart the name of someone being addressed. In this case, if the title of the song is saying that the sweetheart in question should “teach me,” it should say, “Teach Me, Sweetheart.” With that out of the way let’s get down to business: I’ll be the first to admit that for every eighty minute album the FF put out every ten weeks or so, a good twenty to thirty minutes of that is unlistenable. But dammit if I don’t love the rest, and this gem’s part of that rest. A tremendous live show that is surprisingly rock heavy.

5. Blackalicious, “Back to the Essence”- Holy hell are these beats sexy. At least three different tunages courtesy of the deejay and all three could stand alone. You know the flow is triple hot. What’s not to like? A: nothing.

6. Bob Dylan, “Baby, Let Me Follow You Down”- I don’t listen to much Bob, but my favorite is no doubt this 1966 live disc from when he first brought the rock, which also brought some boos. Who knew such a geeky little folk hero could bring the rebellion with his words AND his music? Not me, but I like it. I like it a lot.

7. Eric B. & Rakim, “Eric B. is on the Cut”- You have to be an especially adept hip hopper for me to green light giving yourself a shout-out in the song title, and not only do I sanction the move with this cut, I kind of think these dudes should’ve given themselves shout-outs in the song titles for every track on Paid in Full. Yeah… it’s pretty good.

8. Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On?”- One of the few, few songs that’s been a mega huge hit for forty years yet managed to avoid the leap to kitsch. Yeah… pretty good. I don’t know what’s going on, but obviously I gots it going on, so if you ever need some, give a shout.

9. Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions, “Minstrel & Queen”- Okay, guys, who took my iPod and switched it with an African American’s? Was it you, Jimmy? Reid?

10. “Falcon Crest Theme Song”- Ohmygod, I do practice proctology!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home