Jimmy Saffron - August 9, 2006
This song contains the line “I don’t believe/in Hitler.” If I were Bill O’Reilly, I’d cherry pick that quote and then ask if that meant John Lennon was a holocaust denier. Then I’d welcome special guest Paul McCartney to “help me wrap my head around this disturbing question.” Then I’d call Lennon a coward for not coming on my show to defend his statement.
Luckily I’m not Bill O’Reilly.
I’m Brit Hume, bitch.
2. Wilco – “Red-Eyed, and Blue,” from Being There (Disc 1)
Jeff Tweedy does his best Westerberg here. His “Besterberg,” if you will.
Oh, you will.
3. Big Joe Williams– “Shaggy Hound Blues,” from Absolutely The Best
I heard Money magazine put this song at #45 on their “Top 100 songs to Commit White-Collar Crime To” list.
#1 was “Carolina on My Mind,” predictably enough.
None of the above is not false.
4. Wilco – “At Least That’s What You Said (Live),” from 11/10/04 Paramount Theatre, Seattle, WA - bootleg
I heard Kofi Annan came on stage to play the guitar solo in this song.
Rip it, Kof. Rip that guitar a new one. Yeah, mutha!
5. Creedence Clearwater Revival – “Green River” from Chronicle Vol.1
Show me a record collection that doesn’t contain this record and I’ll show you this mole by my elbow. See it? Yeah, right there. Think I should get that checked out?
6. And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead – “Relative Ways,” from Source Tags and Codes
Never has a band so scarily named been so not scary. Except maybe The Insane Clown Posse. Speaking of--
7. cLOUDDEAD – “Pop Song,” from Ten
True or false, Mixees:
Insane Clown Posse + Angelo Badalamenti = Clouddead?
8. Red House Painters – “Cabezon,” from Ocean Beach
I have a friend who, just before making sweet love to a young woman, put on some Red House Painters to set the mood. Right away the girl asked that he play something else. “I used to date Mark Kozelek,” she explained, “and well, it’s just hard to hear his music now.”
I had almost the exact same thing happen to me, only with Kofi Annan.
9. Nilsson, Harry – “Mr. Bojangles,” from Harry
Man, Nilsson. I love him. Saffron/Nilsson in the ’06.
10. Luna – “Beautiful View,” from Pup Tent
I think if Luna ever had a chance at a hit single, it was with this song. That said, I never, ever heard them play it live. Why was that? Were they ashamed? Disappointed? These are the questions that keep me up at night. Not, “what can I do to resolve the crisis in Lebanon,” or anything like that. Speaking of Lebanon, I’m tired. Good night.